Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Airtel wants me to chat with young boys and girls


I saw this message after sending a text from my Airtel mobile. Words fail me.

In case the text is unreadable, it says: "SMS cost 0.30 INR Bal 452.20 INR. Mobile Chat! Call 543216 & chat with young boys & girls from Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, and Chennai." It continues, if you scroll down, "Charges at Rs 2/min." The blue dot is the light of my computer's webcam -- the only available device I had to capture the message before it vanished.

Maybe I should give Airtel the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not promoting paedophilia -- but it sounds plenty sleazy regardless. But, just in case they are promoting paedophilia, I'm alerting some activists, as well as putting up this blog post.

3 comments:

Arun said...

Its indeed sleazy but I guess they dont mean children, but just girls and boys. Hanlon's razor can be applied I feel.

km said...

Wow.

Their copywriter probably thinks "chat with young boys & girls" = "hang out with people of your age".

Khalil Sawant said...

I used to get messages like "Chat with Asians"
The didnt know I did that every-day :D:D
Basically everyone I know around is Asian (by virtue of being India).